Any reason for assigning block parameter in inject:into:

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 30 05:10:12 UTC 2007

>From: Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Any reason for assigning block parameter in inject:into:
>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 00:36:01 +0100
>
>>Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrghh! <runs screaming down the hall waving arms>
>Could you waive them in the direction to point me to the code where I can
>change the compiler to enable assignment to method params please.
>
>Keith

But once you do that, any code you write can only be used by people who have
your hack.

In Squeak the parameters are copies that just happen to be read-only, but is
it this way in the other dialects?  I would expect the parameter to be
read-only, but I would expect that because I would expect at the low level
the "pointer" to the original location is being passed for efficiency (since
an object copy could be expensive) and therefor must be read-only.