Recovering code from changeset ?

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:00:50 UTC 2007

Here's what just happened to me:

I cloned my base image (pre-configured squeak-dev), created a category
and started coding. In particular I renamed a class I had just
created. After a while my image locked up (*), so I killed Squeak and
tried to recover my code from the last snapshot and the changes.

Problem: the .changes don't know anything about that class rename. I
see chunks adding methods to the class with the old name, and other
chunks adding to the new name, but no rename nor
remove-and-recreate-the-whole-class chunks.

In the end I loaded the first changes, then renamed the class, then
loaded the rest. I also had to touch and recompile a few methods
because no instance variables were there.

Bug? How are we supposed to recover code and be reasonably confident
that it's complete and coherent?

(*)
just for fun, inspect this in a sacrificiable image:
(ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: anExistingPngFileName) colorAt:
aPointWithinTheBounds
and edit the value of alpha then accept...

--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org