which files to add to a Windows Squeak to make it run on Mac? Linux?

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 00:18:45 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a usb stick with a Squeak windows installation.
>
> Now I want to make this run on a mac and Linux. From my windows point
> of view I would have to copy the Mac or Linux equivalent of squeak.exe.

For Linux, you'll want "squeak" (which is the executable binary containing
the VM), "vm-display-X11" and "vm-sound-null" plug-ins at the least. If you
want to use sound, also include "vm-sound-OSS". If you want to run headless,
also include "vm-display-null".

These files can be in the same directory as squeak.image, squeak.changes and
SqueakV9.sources. If you want to put the "squeak" executable elsewhere,
start it from the command prompt or shell like this:

/path/to/squeak -plugins /path/to/plugins /path/to/squeak.image

(replacing the paths with what you have set up, of course).

subbukk is correct about some versions of linux not allowing executables to
be run from a removable device. To get around this, either copy the files to
the hard disk, or mount the USB disk manually without using the "noexec"
flag (see "man mount" for more info here - e.g. "mount /dev/sda1
/mnt/usbdisk" - the usb disk is usually emulated as a SCSI device (!)).

Also note that USB disks in my experience are quite slow. If you plan to
load and save images often, copy the image to the hard disk, and when you're
finished, copy them back to the USB disk.

Michael.