sending text messages in and out of squeak from another application

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Aug 6 02:33:01 UTC 2007

John M McIntosh wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I found something named OSProcess, but from the
>> documentation, I can't tell if it i s actualy workign on a Mac, or on
>> any other OS for that matter. Nor can I figure out how to download it
>> if need be since the latest version is listed as 4.2.2 while the
>> SqueakMap Package Loader only lists 4.0.1, which won't load anyway
>> due to some kind of error.
>
> The 3.8.18beta1U mac carbon VM in the 3.9 distribution folder now has
> the OSProcess plugin included.
> You just need the latest smalltalk software to use. The instructions
> should tell you "hopefully" how to quickly test it to see if it works
> for you.

Hmmm. For some reason, the version with 3.8.18beta specified doesnt'
quite work. A different folder, labled Squeak3.9-final-7067, seemed to
work better, but it may have just be "cleaner" than the other one when I
started testing.

Now that I know that it works (I can even do a few simple shell commands
from the shell window, whee), I have ot figure out how to use it. Are
they any existing examples I might look at for implementing I/O via pipes?

Thanks.