Submitting a fix

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 16:37:51 UTC 2007

Submitting a fix.

Hi Bryce,

If you have put it on Mantis that is the right thing.

I usually also use the mantis>send a reminder feature
to send a report to Edgar(edgardec) when I think
things are ready.

It is also good to separate the fix and the test into
separate pieces.  That would allow the loading of the
test before the patch to verify that it fails before/
passes after.

If its a new report, then asking the squeak-dev list
to look at it and comment as you have implicitly done
here is good also.

Submitting fixes/harvestling fixes is more an art than
a science. The procedure changes with every release
team and often changes during the release teams
efforts.

The authoritave people to say what the harvesting
procedure is right now would be Edgar and Ralph for
3dot10.

For 3dot11 it will depend on the release team.

I suspect that a good way to track fixes for a release
would be to set up a mantis parent report and relate
all the ready to go fixes to the parent report.
Hypertext is the bees knees and mantis does it well.

Hth,

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

***
>bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at
kampjes.demon.co.uk
>Mon Aug 6 10:10:43 UTC 2007
>

>I've packaged up a minor fix to printing Arrays
containing
>metaclasses. What is the appropriate way to submit
this to be included
>in the next release? There's even a test covering the
bug.

>The Mantis bug is:
>http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6590
>
>The bug matters to me because I print arrays into
error logs then want
>to evaluate them back into Squeak to replay the logs
to reproduce
>bugs.
>
>Bryce
***