[Packages] Split-Join in development universe etc

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Mon Aug 6 22:13:12 UTC 2007

Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I added Split-Join as a package in the development universe.

What does it do?  You do not say.

> I proposed enabling Universes to run arbitrary, or Installer based
> scripts, but this is considered somewhat cavalier. So undaunted, and
> no less barbaric I have used a PackageInfo-#preamble to load this
> script! This has the disadvantage of being hard to maintain and it is
> working invisible magic behind the scenes , whereas the script option
> would have been visible and manageable.

The development package universe should be a place where we work
together.  The above does not suggest a working-together sort of
attitude.

Can you say what is wrong with Package Universes dependencies, that
you need to apparently add a new kind of dependencies?  What is it
that you want to happen in preamble scripts?

-Lex