[Packages] Split-Join in development universe etc

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 05:00:53 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Of course it would be best, but this is a kernel extension, which is
> under the control of the release team, not I.

Ah right, of course.  *bonk self*.

If I keep on doing this, it means that all efforts to improve the kernel
> are wasted, because even if I write a kernel improvement, I am
> conditioned by the working context to not use such extensions until they
> are deemed acceptable  by the consensus, which in the case of "Message
> eating Null", or Gorans name space improvements is probably never.

I was under the impression that now is the best time ever to get needed
things into the image.  The "Message eating null" and namespaces are big
controversial things that can't be ignored once present.  But this package
seems like a "no-brainer" since it's just method adds and they put in
something that seems glaringly missing from Squeak at the moment.  If you
have tests and things you should still try I would say, there might still be
time.

> This has been bugging me for a while so, I figure the only way I can see
> to get around this is to legitimize the idea of a kernel-patch in the
> universe (which formalizes which versions the patch is applicable to)
> and have it managed properly in mantis, i.e. feedback discussion. new
> versions etc.

So another feature in a place it's not expected due to social issues.  :)
But I see where you are coming from.  I think we should first try to get it
in this release if there is still time.  Does anyone have an issue with this
patch?

Just as an aside, is it not possible to have an MC package that contains
only extension methods?