Morphic! (ans to Jason from previous thread)

Jason Shoemaker kutsuya at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:58:05 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Jerome Peace <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Morphic! (ans to Jason from previous thread)

[...]

Spec means speculation and doing something on spec
> means you take the responsibility that it might or
> might not be accepted by the publisher. The other way
> to do something is on commission where others specify
> what you are to do but give a garantee that the work
> will be of use to them and you will be compensated.

Ah, I see.

As for motivation for morphic work, for me it means
> the work must be interesting (as defined by my
> curiosity) lead to something I think elegant in the
> code and the behavior of the morphs and allow me to
> learn and grow in my own  understanding of squeak,
> morphic and things larger.
>
> You apparently have the curiosity streak as well.

Yes.

So answer me this, and I can better advise you.

> What would you like to learn from reading the
> "specifications?" you thought I had mentioned?

Wel,l I  could figure out where morphic  is suppost to go, and if  it has
arrived.

What would you like to be able to do with the
> knowledge?

It would make it easier to refactor morphic, because I feel it would be
easier to understand.

Often, instead of specifications, I find it useful to
> just write down what I want to see squeak do. As
> vaguely as my initial understanding permits.  As
> briefly as I can fit all my ideas in. And as
> passionately as the forces of desire inside me wish
> for the feature to exist.

I would like to have interfaces. I've looked at smallInterfaces and it looks
to me a bit messy. I don't have the understand yet, to write my own.

Oddly, the rest of it is all downhill from there.  The
> specifications become the detailing of the initial
> statement. The code comes from implementing pieces of
> the details, testing them and proving they work. The
> fun comes when the coding process leads to something
> unexpected and the detail or even the original
> statement becomes worth rewriting. Incremental design
> benifits the designer by educating him all along the
> way. (Look on the web for articles about McReadys
> gossamer condor.)

I see your point. It that when you are just starting, it helps to know where
you are trying to go.

Reading the SELF paper on Morphic, I now have a better idea what morphic is
about.

Anyway thanks for your response and request. Its been
> fun writing this.

Thank you also. Sorry for the delay. I found it after I did a search.

Regards,
  Jason