[Packages] Split-Join in development universe etc

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:28:03 UTC 2007

> > Just a little dig at the process that has continued to demonstrate that
> > democracy doesn't seem to work in terms of pushing innovations, but
> > appears to favour the status quo
>
> Begging your pardon, but isn't pronouncing something you happen to like as
> an "innovation" a bit presumptuous? :)

Irrespective of the quality of the innovation, changes to the core
will always be slower in a democracy than a dictatorship.

Compare with the introduction of brace syntax.

Before brace syntax, I don't remember feeling all that much pain. I
just did OrderedCollection new add:;add:;add;yourself. Certainly
idiomatic Smalltalk.

Can you imagine if Keith had proposed adding brace syntax today? When
Squeak was a benevolent dictatorship, brace syntax just showed up in
the update stream. No discussion;  just announcement.

We're missing the authority to effect that kind of change. Note too
that Squeak Central probably judged that an incremental (pink plane)
kind of change. I'm not sure there is much that can be done here.
Changes by Alan, Ted, or Dan effectively *were* Smalltalk because we
trust and follow.