Actually, An excess of productivity is killing Smalltalk.

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Sun Aug 12 21:05:47 UTC 2007

Shows a total ignorance of how management thinks.

Java is about 1/10 to 1/5 as productive as Smalltalk.

 From the manger's perspective, he wants to climb the corporate
ladder.  To do this, he must become more important than he is.  He
could hire Steve the wizard Smalltalker to write his system and get
it done in a few months.  Steve can do it.  He's pricey but from a
productivity perspective, he's worth it.

But when promotion time comes - manager guy can only say "I have one
employee - Steve" and he gets very little respect as a manager.  How
hard can it be to manage one guy?

For the timeframe - he could hire 5 Java guys - make more code (that
does the same thing) and he gets to say to his peers that he manages
a team of 5 developers.  Each developer costs less than Steve - so it
looks like he is getting a bargain in two ways.  Which sounds better
to his boss who is judging him on his management skills?  He manages
Steve.  Or he manages a team of 5?  Which one will get him promoted?

Extra bonus reason - Steve can get hit by a bus.  Big risk!  A Java
developer can also get hit by a bus - but if that happens it is much
less likely to impact the project critically.  So manager guy feels
better about that too.  Steve is hard to replace - Java people are a
dime a dozen and only have to be 1/5 as good.

Smalltalk loses because it is TOO productive.  It frightens the
manager and doesn't make him look powerful and important.  It
marginalizes him instead.

FWIW, I also worked as a dev manager at some large companies and
believe me - this is the thought process.