Very bad about Squeak in blogosfere

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Aug 13 07:41:24 UTC 2007

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Andreas Raab a écrit :
>
>> Leveraging those projects is what Squeak.org today is really, REALLY
>> terrible at. But it is where the majority of Squeak production code
>> gets written so if you want to get those fixes and enhancements that
>> happen in these projects you need to find a ways of integrating them.
>
> As forks are concerned, reintegrating fixes in Squeak mainstream should
> be a two way process, no?

Indeed, one would hope so. Although, I'm not sure if we agree on what
"two-way process" means here ;-) To me, it means that those projects
both contribute as well as benefit. As it stands, it appears that most
projects don't benefit at all from "mainstream" Squeak. I can't speak
for other projects (so I won't) but the situation for Croquet is clear:
There have been plenty of fixes brought back to Squeak.org but there
have been no improvements brought to Croquet from Squeak.org. So it's
been a uniquely one-way relationship so far and that is part of why
there is limited motivation to go through the hoops to get all the other
fixes into Squeak.org proper.

I had tried to change some of this by doing per-package maintenance (so
that we and other projects may be able to benefit from changes folded
into these packages). Unfortunately, that effort got torpedoed every
step of the way.

Cheers,
   - Andreas