An idea, crazy or not? (Re: Very bad about Squeak in blogosfere)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Aug 13 11:25:04 UTC 2007

Hi!

"Igor Stasenko" <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> This 'uber' tool will require some centralized server to store and
> exchange deltas.

The idea was to try and not reimplement these particular wheels.

We set up a server that syncs streams from all over the globe (probably
using rsync and possibly a slew of other transports) - and then we all
can just use rsync to mirror that server down onto our laptops.

Thus - the Smalltalk side of it just sees a file tree on localhost.
KISS.

> Its also would nice to have some 'feedback' mechanism, like accompany
> delta with tests and authomatically report delta authors on how well
> his delta works with particular image.

Yes, and we should not underestimate emails as feedback mechanism. :)
If each Delta and/or stream has an email address associated it will be
easy to send comments back.
And some streams would then use a mailinglist address.

Exactly how we could use tests in this setup I have no specific opinion
about - but it would surely be an important part.

The whole thing is a simple idea really:

	Make it TRIVIAL to share code changes and to get them. No memberships,
permissions etc needed.

The Changesets and their tools did have a lot of nice attributes. Like
for example being able to work, work, work and then using a dual change
sorter easily pick out the work into different changesets (commits).

regards, Göran