An idea, crazy or not?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Aug 14 03:46:05 UTC 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 1:47 AM, goran at krampe.se wrote:

> ..ok, enough blabbering. :) Does this sound plausible, useful or just
> plain dumb? Is MC2 already this and much more?

I won't get into the details, because there's a lot to this proposal
and I haven't fully absorbed it yet. I will say this though: MC2 is
meant to be a versioning substrate that can accomodate several styles
of collaboration on top of it. In it's current state, it (almost)
provides that substrate, but there's nothing yet built on top of it.
A more-efficient version of Monticello1 is one thing that could go on
top of the substrate, but a better update-stream non-unlike what you
describe is another thing that could be built on the same substrate.

I'm a little wary of trying to create a technical solution to a
social problem, but I think buy your theory that part of the problem
is that it's too hard to cross-pollinate between Squeak
distributions. I suspect that we want to end up more like the BSD
world than Linux. The different distributions have separate code-
bases, different foci and distinct communities. But ideas and code
seem to flow between them pretty freely to the benefit of all.

I need to think about this a bit more.

Colin