Package Universes and Squeakmap

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 18 13:23:08 UTC 2007

Jason Johnson wrote:
> On 8/18/07, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In the development universe the package Magma Tester beta, r40Beta.3 is
>> posted as a Monticello Configuration Map (.mcm)
>>

> I still don't understand why.  Why does Magma Tester beta need to be
> an MCM instead of a universe?  What is the MCM doing that the universe
> can't?

It specifies a specific, i.e. exact set of packages that are loaded in a
specific order. It can be managed in your mc repository together with
the rest of your files, and it represents a complete deliverable.
>> If you load this into a 3.10 image, it will load
>> MonticelloConfigurations, loading this depends upon a file in which will
>> patch Monticello1 (trivially), and it will patch Universes (almost
>> trivially) in order that mcm's will work.
>>
>> So, in order to post your mcm package all you need to do is to add
>> MonticelloConfigurations as a dependency.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Keith
>>

> This seems to me like patching apt-get to accept RPM configurations to
> describe dependencies.  I would personally rather see a patch that can
> read MCM and convert it to Universe configuration.

Not really. Monticello can load many file types. It is perfectly possible for monticello to define its own new file types and new file formats.

For correct usage you say to the reader superclass, "find me a reader for this file" and it supplies one, then you use it. If Universes goes around this mechanism, (which it does, which is not monticello's public interface) then it is broken. The patch in this case is only a fix to make "apt-get" work as it should, not to do anything unusual.

regards

Keith