Easy Morphic GUI -- very cool

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Tue Aug 21 02:08:11 UTC 2007

Hi Nick,

Le 31 juil. 07 à 21:18, ncalexan at uci.edu a écrit :

> Hi Noury,
>
> Just wanted to say that EMG is very cool -- it feels quite natural
> and I
> was a little surprised such a package was not standard in Morphic/
> Squeak
> already.  I haven't used it enough to find its limitations, etc,
> but I am
> interested to know what future you think it has, what features it is
> lacking and you would like to see added, etc.

Thanks for your interested.
EMG is an on-going project. So far, I want it to become really stable
and fast to be usable.
I do use it for my own projects in order to enhance it.

Beside reliability/efficiency, I feel at least a couple of things are
missing. The first one is a better integration with morphic. All
morphs should better support visual manipulation and linking to other
objects by providing appropriate menus, halos, etc. This is a huge
work that needs the involvement of all the morphic community. The
second thing which I felt useful when using EMG is to display links
(i.e. references) among morphs (and with non-visual objects). I shall
add and extra feature which is providing every object with facilities
to allow handling them visually. That is, I'd like that every object
can have a "morphic view" as done in the Morphic Wrappers project.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'enseignement de l'informatique
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org