TimeZone setup, as simple as possible

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Aug 21 21:25:10 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall wrote:

>>> With Chronos you can use:
>>> (Timezone at: #'CET') beSystem
>> That's better, but you need to load Chronos.
>
> Yeah, packages must be loaded like Swazoo or SPort.

Sure, but TimeZone is already there and what is missing is one or two
additional methods which will ease timezone setup.

One simple method! Why is that obviously so hard to do? Smalltalk is
famous because it grown out of simple but consistent implementation of
few basic ideas, why wouldn't we continue that tradition in such a small
case as is this timezone setup?

Janko

>> Question is, wouldn't be
>> fine if something like that would be in a default squeak image?
>
> You mean like setting the locale to the correct value?
>
> http://www.chronos-st.org/Discovering%20the%20Local%20Time%20Zone--Why%20It's%20a%20Hard%20Problem.html
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Janko Mivšek