UI Discussions and possible UI Team

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:36:11 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 4:09 am, Steve McCusker wrote:
> Hi Brad
>
> I'd be interested in subscribing to a UI list. I am playing a bit with
> Squeak and I find the UI different enough to most Windows UIs that it makes
> it harder for me to use. As I will not be stopping using Windows in the
> near future, I would prefer that the Squeak UI was a little closer.
Windows GUI was heavily influenced by Squeak's ancestors. If you are on Squeak
3.9 image, then use the Squeak flap and change the theme to SmallLand. It
puts a menu buttons at the top. Squeak's UI seem to be apt for exploration of
ideas and composing objects into a widget rather than getting tasks done by
pushing buttons.

I prefer the "clean canvas" model in Squeak where the UI is non-intrusive and
gives me more real estate for my project work. The menu buttons take some
time to explore and pin down and many button actions are not well documented,
but one gets used them after a while (which may explain why no one ever gets
around to fixing the doc :-)). Unlike Windows where menu buttons are fixed in
a toolbar, Squeak buttons are like any other object. Just duplicate the
important or frequently used ones onto your project canvas
(e.g. "objects", "save and quit").

Regards .. Subbu