SqueakMap HTTP Response code handling (was Re: EOCD error: (was Problem loading FFI))

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Thu Aug 23 21:13:46 UTC 2007

"Jason Johnson" <jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com> writes:
> It seems like this is always something you would want to know, right?
> In that case maybe HttpUrl should be change to throw exceptions or at
> least have an #onHTTPErrorResponse: type protocol.

Some such refactoring would be great.  It's a long-standing issue:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6495

I haven't thought it through in a while, but my suggested refactoring
at the time was this:

    Errors should be reported better. One refactoring would be to make
    an "DownloadError" subclass of MIMEDocument. Then, we could
    robustly track which downloads are errors, without breaking
    compatibility with code that simply displays the result whether it
    was an error or not (e.g., Scamper).

Anyone interested in making a little ErroneousMIMEDocument class to
patch this up?

-Lex