Package Universes and Squeakmap

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Thu Aug 23 21:46:53 UTC 2007

Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Jason Johnson wrote:
> > On 8/18/07, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> In the development universe the package Magma Tester beta, r40Beta.3 is
> >> posted as a Monticello Configuration Map (.mcm)
> >>

> > I still don't understand why.  Why does Magma Tester beta need to be
> > an MCM instead of a universe?  What is the MCM doing that the universe
> > can't?
> >

> It specifies a specific, i.e. exact set of packages that are loaded in
> a specific order. It can be managed in your mc repository together
> with the rest of your files, and it represents a complete deliverable.

A package universe does that for you, too.  It has an exact list of
package versions that are current, including dependency information.

Have you considered what happens if you load two different mcm's that
request different versions of the same Monticello package?  If you
instead listed the individual mcz's, then you can use a package
universe to sort out the mess.

-Lex