[ANN] GLMorphic meets the public

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 13:01:27 UTC 2007

by Derek O'Connell Aug 24, 2007; 11:41am :: Rate this Message: (use
ratings to moderate[?])

Hi Sig, I'm off away today so can't spend much time on it but I
installed it on a fresh squeak-dev image (sq3.9-7067dev07.08.1.zip).
Here my spec's...

WinXP Home SP2
Mobile AMD64 3000+
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2 (64Meg)
OpenGL 2.0.6590 WinXP Release
glinfo-report.htm

>With default squeak-dev windows, minimised, plus a workspace and
transcripter, I >enabling then disabled no problem. I then enabled
again and tried dragging some windows >around but the pointer
disappears on mouse-down and there are no display updates while
>dragging so no idea where I'm dragging to. However once mouse
released then window >appears in dragged-to position.

Yes i disabled updating while draggin, because it requires an overlay
support (which is not done yet).
I plan to implement a caching canvas which will work by using FBO.
Morph carried by hand (when you dragging it) is rendered on cached
surface and then is  drawn as overlay on main surface.

>Next I disabled, opened objects window and dragged out: MovingEye,
Blob x2, >BouncingAtoms x2, Flasher x2 and a TrueTypeBanner and
enabled. TrueTypeBanner >disappears, Flashers are non-smoothed (become
8-sided) but the blobs now have a nice >shaded effect and folds show
up :-). Fonts elsewhere look ok but I suspect existing >bitmaps are
used. Balloon text was at first garbage but ok after a few
enable-disable >cycles. I could tell by square borders and fan-speed
ramp-up that GL was indeed working. >To double check I disable and
drag out a FrameRate morph. Now when enabled the >FrameRate morph text
is a solid block of colour, occasionally showing a character (but
>where a number should be displayed). I suspect NPO2 is not the
problem and maybe you >are using MS function to render text? I
specifically remember MS text rendering to be >problematic when I
tried it years ago. I'll try to dig out any notes I have when I get
back >next week.

Yes, there are many issues with morphs. Mainly because they written in
style assuming that they drawn by software blitter. I didn't tested
much of morphs, just basics by now.
In my image baloon text rendered as garbage too. :)
There are issues with font rendering and bitmap formats used by
squeak, which need to be translated before GL can use them as
textures/bitmaps , like byte order in word, bit order in byte e.t.c.

>Bringing up the world menu shows corrupted text (expected) in the
menu itself and now >elsewhere, such as the Objects dialog and in the
workspace.

If fonts corrupted, you can use  Display getCanvas flushCache. It can
help, because it frees all cached glyphs and reloads textures for all
used fonts again.

>On disabling I just about catch the FrameRate morph reporting ~107fps
before dropping >back to ~25fps.

Good start!