pipe

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Sat Aug 25 20:07:45 UTC 2007

Igor Stasenko schrieb:
> We need only minor changes to parser to add this syntax sugar, and no
> changes in complier because it don't breaks old syntax or message
> passing semantics.

That's not exactly true.
#| is a perfectly valid binary selector, and is implemented in several
classes (Boolean or and related operations).
You might get away with ! which is a legal binary selector in current
Smalltalk but is not used anywhere in a standard Squeak image.

I'm still not convinced that
object someMessage ! message1: arg1 ! message2
is that much better readable than
((object someMessage) message1: arg1) message2
especially since more than one or two levels of parentheses are often a
sign of code smell.

That does not mean that I'm absolutely against language evolution - but
a new feature should carry its own weight.
The {} collection constructor is Squeak is pretty usable, and I thought
that the multi-assignment was also pretty neat even though it was rarely
used and eventually got kicked out.
Another thing is that code interchange between different Smalltalk
implementations is something that should not be jeopardized lightly.
When packages use implementation idiosyncrasies, they are less likely to
be ported.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin