pipe

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:36:35 UTC 2007

On 8/27/07, Alan Lovejoy <squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net> wrote:

> How often would it be used in practice?  Would most uses be valid, or
> would most have to be considered as suboptimal code?

That's the question.  I have no idea.  In all the code I have written
so far, the only place it would have come up would have been in the
LazyList implementation I did (probably at most 5 methods of it),
which was inherently functional.  But in that case I'm not sure that I
still wouldn't go with the parenthesis.

> Would it attract a significant body of functional programmers to Smalltalk?

I don't know if that would be bad, though I don't know how much of a
worry/hope it would be.  It's not only Smalltalk that seems to be
generating interest, but high level languages in general.  The Lisp
list seems to be growing, Haskell is growing. Erlang is about to
explode, some think it will be the next Java (in popularity, not with
overly verbose syntax).