directory recursive delete problem on Windows

Michael Rueger michael at impara.de
Tue Aug 28 17:20:54 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Grit just ran into an -interesting to say the least- problem with
recursive deletion of directories on Windows. We are not able to provide
a stripped down test case yet, but here some info:

- we extract a zip archive to provide an initial setup for Plopp data
- then the user can play around in demo mode (problem doesn't occur in a
full version as the deletion doesn't take place)
- upon quitting demo mode all data is erased via a recursive directory
delete

We have simple test up without running the UI to reproduce the problem.

The delete fails about 1 in 10 with a primitive failed in deleteDirectory.

There are no open files or anything obvious.

Now the interesting part...
If we add a delay of 1 sec after catching the error and then simply
retry the exception to delete the directory again, it works.

[Painter3DStorage storageDirectory recursiveDelete]
	on: Error
	do: [: exception |
		(Delay forMilliseconds: 1000) wait.
		exeption retry]