directory recursive delete problem on Windows

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 19:28:01 UTC 2007

I have also seen this problem on Windows.
>From what I remember, disabling the windows indexing service + any virus checkers + Google desktop search, made it happen less often :)

Also, it was more likely to occur when an explorer, viewing the folders contents, was open.
And, from what I recall, it was made worse if the folder contained a .thumbs file and so it happened more often on XP than on Win2000.

In the end we solved the problem by using the Shell.dll function - SHFileOperation - with the FO_DELETE , FOF_NOERRORUI, FOF_SILENT, FOF_NOCONFIRMATION flags; to do the folder delete. We also removed any read only, archive, flags from the files in the folder before calling the function).

You could probably use FFI to call the function, or else make a plugin.
Cheers,
Andy.