pipe

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Aug 29 23:35:31 UTC 2007

On Aug 26, 2007, at 12:20 AM, Alan Lovejoy wrote:

> Andrew Tween wrote:
>> if we don't want to use up another character, then we could use two
>> semi-colons.
>> a x:1 ;; y: 2
>
> Actually, whatever token is used, it should NOT be one that would be
> a legal message selector.  It's new syntax, and messages and syntax
> should be distinct.

Well, only if you view things that are new as additions to what is
there.

I prefer to see new things as generalizations or refactorings of what
is there.

In Arches, I view message sends as a special-case of connectors.  So
things like := or => or possibly ;; can also just be connectors, but
ones that are not message sends.

Admittedly, I haven't yet thought wether I can make statement
separators into connectors.  Superficially, it doesn't look like they
wouldn't be:  they connect statements (at the same time separating
them ;-)...

Marcel