Pipe syntax and the current methods

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Thu Aug 30 08:52:58 UTC 2007

  Hello,

> Since Pipes makes Smalltalk better at prototyping, Pipes gives me a sharper pencil.

  I think I know a part of your frustration.  When you are trying make
the idea rendered into the first cut of code, you really don't want to
move the cursor back in the characters you typed and insert some other
stuff just to make it compile and do something.

  Another approach to solve this problem is to make the editor
smarter.  I could imagine to have a some command-key sequence that
puts open and close parenthesis around the *last* expression.  The
definition of the "last" expression may need a clarification but it
almost sounds like "right before the last statement separater ($.)"
would be good.  With it, if you type:

  aCollection select: [:each | each isSomething]

and then realize that you actually want to continue to write collect:,
then you press a key combination and it enclose the above expression
with $( and $).  In this way, you don't have to change the language.

  For this kind of stuff, having three different precedence in message
sending is basically two too many.  That is why the lisp-mode in Emacs
shines more than any other modes.  But for Smalltalk-80 syntax, it
wouldn't be too bad.

-- Yoshiki