Morphic 3.0: The future of the Gui

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Aug 30 12:30:11 UTC 2007

Hi Brad,

bradallenfuller at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>

> 1.3 Direct Manipulation
>

> Have you seen this video about image resizing
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadw0BRKeMk
>

> 1.4 Framework Structure
> What's the thinking behind this?
>

> "Class Morph should not include general concepts of color, border, etc. Each morph class decides what are the relevant properties for its instances. "

I believe in current Morphic (Morphic 2.0) class Morph is far too big.
For many morphs there is not a single concept of color. For example,
what color are you? I'm sure your skin, hair, eyes, and clothes are not
exactly the same color. So, there is not a single color. It's too
simplistic. Some simple morphs might have a single color. Well, they can
have that instance variable if they wish. It's their problem. The same
happens with border.

> Another thought: I always wanted to be able to have _any_ object that communicates to the user to be a morph. This would be any graphic object, but also any video object, audio object, anything that deals with the senses of the user. What do you think about this idea?

Something like MorphicWrappers? Nice. But I don't currently have good
ideas on how to do it. I'd like to hear them, though!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich
www.jvuletich.org