pipe (scaling image)

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Thu Aug 30 12:32:12 UTC 2007

But an image can be scaled in a farm of servers. A persistent Smalltalk can
have valuable objects transparently stored in a shareable support.

I've implemented in Squeak a *proof of concept* of this idea in a system
that can store in a relational database the objects without having to map
classes to tables. It uses the same intention that the VM uses to store
objects in RAM. It uses the RDBMS as if it where an analogy of the RAM. I
based the design on the blue book. The idea is not original Sun has played
with something like this for Java.

Every instar value you change in an object is made ACIDly. Is slow because
the support is slow. Write and read barriers can help a lot. Concurrency
also should be managed.

But you can make a really big image with this by scaling it as much as
PostgreSQL can scale.

Cheers,

Sebastian Sastre