Win32 VM Update & Request for help

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Aug 30 15:13:59 UTC 2007

On 29-Aug-07, at 10:45 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> and run it. Aaaahhhh! What a nice splash screen ;-) The reason for
> the (optional) splash screen is that I finally got beaten into
> delaying the main window creation up until the point when there is
> something to show

About time, too.

> but unfortunately this also leads to the problem that there is no
> user-visible feedback about the application launch, so the splash
> screen support became necessary (shame on the Mac VM for delaying
> window creation without splash screen! ;-)

A splash screen should be configurable in some way. Ideally it ought
to be generated by the image! The *real* problem here is the whole "
if the time to show something interesting is a couple of seconds"
part. There really isn't much of  an excuse for such a delay.

I don't think it would be appropriate to have a window of any sort
display when you are starting a Seaside server for example. Or
running on an IBM 3090. Or a signet ring.

> * Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 10001
Good idea(s)

tim
Strange OpCodes: PS: Pirate Software