Win32 VM Update & Request for help

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 30 15:55:38 UTC 2007

tim Rowledge wrote:
> A splash screen should be configurable in some way. Ideally it ought to
> be generated by the image! The *real* problem here is the whole " if the
> time to show something interesting is a couple of seconds" part. There
> really isn't much of  an excuse for such a delay.

You mean loading the image and relocating pointers is no excuse? Running
the startup code, redrawing the screen? No excuses either? Even a basic
image takes about a second to start (the delay between launching it and
seeing something is noticeable); if you actually do anything when you
start the image or if you simply have larger images it easily takes longer.

> I don't think it would be appropriate to have a window of any sort
> display when you are starting a Seaside server for example. Or running
> on an IBM 3090. Or a signet ring.

And which part of "optional" splash screen is so hard to understand?
Remove splash.bmp and it's gone.

Cheers,
   - Andreas