Win32 VM Update & Request for help

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 30 17:46:17 UTC 2007

tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 30-Aug-07, at 8:55 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> You mean loading the image and relocating pointers is no excuse?
>> Running the startup code, redrawing the screen? No excuses either?
>
> It's a *reason* but not an *excuse*. Yes, there is a load of assorted
> stuff done as the VM starts up and loads the image (which could take
> several seconds on some machine/setups) and then as the image starts up.
> That's the reason(s). The excuse really adds up to "we haven't bothered
> to improve things". As John mentioned, it seems likely that some of the
> VM related memory scanning could be improved. Looking at the fairly
> intimidating list of things done as part of the image startup I feel
> sure we could do a lot better - not least by having a smaller simpler
> better thought out image in the first place.

Fix it ;-) In the meantime there is at least *some* feedback that the
application has successfully launched. I find it highly disturbing (to
say the least) if you don't get any feedback for several seconds when an
  application launches. The splash screen may not be an optimal solution
but it sure as hell beats seeing absolutely nothing.

Cheers,
   - Andreas