Morphic 3.0: The future of the Gui

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 18:32:08 UTC 2007

On Wed August 29 2007, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> >> This is already so. see #asMorph message :)
> >> You can build up any morph(s) for representing your object.
> >
> > I'm not referring to building a graphic object to represent a sound
> > (for instance), I want to manipulate a sound or video just like I
> > can a morph graphic object.
>
> I'm interested...
>
> What do you mean by this?  Do you want any object to be able to
> provide a default graphical representation of itself and its
> properties?  Do you want to inherit the morphs ability to #step?  Do
> you want to give non-visual objects like sounds a position so that
> you can hear them pan back and forth?

I haven't thought about it too deeply or lately. But, I think it would be
nice, compositionally, if I could massage a sound just like I can a graphic
morph - alter it's 3D position (bigger, father away, left, up, etc.) stretch
it; shrink it both horizontally (time) and vertically (e.g. instrumentation,
orchestration, harmonic), and it's timbre over time.

It'd be nice if sounds could accept drops so that a sound could be dropped on
sounds to create sub-sounds (I guess, you could call them that.) Time is an
issue here, but not hard to accomodate.

And, sounds can be anything from a note, or a sample to a complete music
piece.

FM is already in Squeak - lots of things we could do with an FM sound beyond
the traditional setting up of operators, feedback, LFOs, etc. like
FM/spectral Morphing

I'm not thinking of linear compositional tools such as sequencers or languages
like MusicV, but more multidimensional AND at the object level. I guess more
the lines of CSound or SuperCollider.

The issue with both video and audio is the dimension of time that would
require more thought beyond the concept of stepping.

My point of my original comment was that maybe Morphic 3.0 should step up a
level and include all forms of multimedia from the individual object level.
If we want to do that, I would be involved AND I could find other composers
that would love to help (at least comment on the
ideas/features/architecture.)

brad