[ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Tue Dec 4 16:30:50 UTC 2007

Hello Bert,

in general the post is about that reading the flyer felt a bit
inconsistent.

>> And in English I'd say a block has arguments not
>> parameters and I feel the same in German. But I mainly read english
>> texts about programming.

BF> Please learn about the difference between arguments and parameters:
BF> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_%28computer_science%29

I learned parameters is correct but the ST books I looked up before
posting both talked about block arguments :-))

>> Later on suddenly the word "Feld" is used instead of Array which is
>> used elsewhere.
>>
>> I'd prefer "Array" over "Feld"

BF> Why? It's a German flyer after all. It's not specifically referring
BF> to the class as in the previous example.

Consistency, "Array mit 2 Literalen" "Größe dieses leeren Arrays" but
"Nachricht do: an ein Feld" And if using only one word I'd prefer
Array over using "Feld" in all three places, especially as the class
name is Array.

>> In general the german translation reads in parts, as if the German
>> translator felt this was a flyer about Squeak instead of Smalltalk.

BF> Where is Squeak referenced in the German version and not the English
BF> one?

The paragraph "Smalltalk important concepts" starts with "Squeak
ist.." which it doesn't in the English version.

The paragraph "Applications" has a non Squeak introduction on
commercial apps and research that is missing in the German version.

The "Internet" paragraph contains some more Squeak websites in the
german Version. BTW that is an inconsistency in the English version
too, but this Squeak only part is more lightweight (visually) due to
only three links.

I opened a flyer named "Smalltalk" and after reading it I felt I had
read a flyer about Squeak. Then I read the English one and found it
less so. Only now I looked into the french one (Don't speak french)
and this one is inbetween the German and English version.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net