Squeak relicensing

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Dec 6 18:58:22 UTC 2007

Hi Hilaire--

 > I poke again about this to see how it is possible to get updates
 > information regarding the Squeak relicensing situation.

      It relies on the available time of individual members of the
Squeak leadership. Recently we, like all of you, have been very busy
with other work; we have not had time to do more than answer specific
questions from the community. I personally cannot commit to a particular
response timeframe, although I do what I can.

 > It may be helpful to have an updated list of the code still posing
 > problem.
 >
 > A ratio of the relicensed code: in term of signed agreement and also
 > in term of line of code (don't know if it is doable). For example it
 > could be very encouraging to realize that 99% of the code is already
 > relicensed.

      I believe Andrew Black has done an analysis of that sort, although
I don't remember if it was that specific. I'm encouraged simply by
looking at the list of signers at
http://netjam.org/squeak/contributors/. A majority of contributors have
signed, and it's my sense that the set of the critical contributors so
far is much smaller and that we probably have them covered.

 > Is there a page in the Squeak wiki showing the work in progress to the
 > public and the free software community particularly?

      The URL above is the closest we have at the moment. Anyone, of
course, is free to take the Squeak objects found there and produce
whatever reports they like.

      My next phone conversation with the Software Freedom Conservancy
is scheduled for next week. We're going to discuss concrete plans for
making a no-unlicensed-code release of Squeak and becoming a member
project. I think it'll work.

      thanks,

-C

--