where to get "Sources" for squeak 3.10

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Mon Dec 10 20:47:10 UTC 2007

Michael Davies wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007 1:03 PM, Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> 3.9 is the only one which can do without a changes file which will
>> change as soon as we will have an official 3.9.1.
>>
>> So in this light and not confusing the newbies you are right.
>>
>> But already the part about possibly needing another image to follow a
>> tutorial will not do without a changes file.
>>

> Good point!
>

>> Trying to combine these informations in a single text I end up with
>> something I would not want to present to newbies.
>>
>> So I'd suggest writing a text about the usual 4 files and adding that
>> _only_ standard 3.9 will come without changes and create them as soon
>> as necessary.
>>
>> And double click on the image doesn't work in Win.
>>

> Ah, my mistake. Perhaps it's best to remove that reference, as it's
> already covered in the Installation page.

Double clicking works on my windows box... But the suffix policy on
windows suck, and you have to set it yourself maybe  :-(
Maybe a few tips could be added to the installation page, like: right
click on image, choose 'open with...' and browse to the SqueakVM, check
the option 'always use this program'

(I don't have a English/American system so I don't know the exact
wording for those menu items and options.)

>> Otherwise I'm all for it.
>>
>> See my attempt below. And somebody please verify I'm right about the
>> changes.
>>

> The page looks a lot clearer now, but perhaps the Changes bullet point
> could be improved - how about:
>
> Changes file. The changes file holds the amendments caused to the
> Sources as you create classes, develop new versions of methods and
> execute code. Most images you use will have a changes file associated
> with them; this changes file must be in the same directory as the
> image file.
I'll update the changes part

Karl