Squeak 3.10 - Assertion failure

Squeaker squeakman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 16:20:51 UTC 2007

Damien Cassou wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> can you be a bit more precise into what you are doing exactly to make
> the bug happen? Also, you might try to deactivate the DynamicProtocols
> in the preference browser and tell me if it changes anything.
>
> 2007/12/14, Squeaker <squeakman at gmail.com>:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am using squeak 3.10-7159web and there is some new (at least to me)
>> behaviour that I confused about.
>>
>> When I am browsing and I attempt to browse a class like Character, I get
>> a walkback window with the title Assertion Failure and the stack is
>> showing the problem originating in CompileMethods>>getSource.
>>
>> Also there is another window titled "Dynamic Protocols" and it is a
>> progressor bar.
>>
>> Can anyone explain what is happening here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frank

I turned off DynamicProtocols as you suggested and the problem is no
longer present.

What precisely was I doing?  I have a relatively clean image, I loaded
ProtoGrowl package and I was browsing the ProtoGrowl code. In the class
PGMessage, I searched for all senders of the method javascriptOn:

In the resulting "Hierarchy Senders" window, when I click on any of the
senders, I get the walkback I reported in my initial post.

I also got the same behaviour when I clicked on the ProtoObject class in
the normal hierarchy browser for the class PGInfoMessage.

If you need more info I would be glad to send you the screen shots.

Thanks so much for you help,
Frank