Image setup question

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 10:35:30 UTC 2007

Hi Amos,

2007/12/15, Amos <aaamos at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to have a closer look at those
> images and the ways of loading stuff over the weekend. Thanks also to
> Ramon for pointing out that your browser customisation has been
> "decommissioned" (I'll see what the OmniBrowser is like and then
> extend that if there's any additional functionality I want),

I would really appreciate if you could share all the additional
functionalities you create. Once you get used to using Monticello, you
can commit them yourself to source.wiresong.ca/ob which is the
official repository for OmniBrowser; you don't need any
login/password.

> > > Playing around with a few things, I missed the option to "dive into"
> > > an element from an Inspector and then "pop" back out to the previously
> > > inspected object(s)
> >

> > you can always press ALT+i (or CTRL+i) on an element to inspect it.
> > So, you can "dive into" a field by just pressing this shortcut or
> > right clicking and selecting "inspect it".
> >

> > > , so I modified the Inspector class to add those
> > > options. Is something like that useful enough to submit the code
> > > somewhere for others to load? Or am I re-inventing the wheel and
> > > someone's already done that?
> >

> > It can be useful. What have you done exactly?
> >

> What I've done is to add the ability, like in VW, to "dive into" an
> attribute of an object being inspected without opening a new
> inspector, i.e. in the same window. So for instance if you inspect
> something like, say:
>
> OrderedCollection with: 'abc' with: #(1 2 'def')
>
> then click on the collection's second element, i.e. the Array,
> right-click and "dive into" it, the inspector's object is updated to
> be the Array instead of the OrderedCollection. You could then dive
> further into the SmallIntegers or the ByteString, or "pop" back out to
> the previously inspected object. The Inspector instance remembers its
> own history, so any number of dives can be retraced to the initial
> object. For convenience, the double-click action on a selected
> attribute is defined to be "dive into", unless you double-click on
> "self" in the inspector, in which case you "pop" back one step. I
> haven't found a good way of updating the window title yet, so it's a
> bit hacky for now (checking the inspector's dependents for a
> SystemWindow doesn't seem very elegant), but otherwise it works great.
> Just a convenient way of drilling down through various layers of
> objects and being able to back up if need be, without having 16
> inspectors cluttering up your screen when you're done ;-)

Please open a bug report on bugs.squeak.org on the project Squeak,
assign it to me and attach your fix. I'll take care of integrating it
into the squeak images.

--
Damien Cassou