Implementing closures (was: Re: 3.9 vs. 3.10 : Closures, fixTemps)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Dec 20 05:55:14 UTC 2007

On 19-Dec-07, at 8:19 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Mathieu Suen wrote:
>> Well so propose us your solution.
>
> Okay, I promised not to invent a solution but it's one of "those"
> problems that I've thought about for a while in the past so let's
> see. Here is how I would address the problem of implementing full
> closures in Squeak:

Well at a quick look it appears plausible - but I have a much simpler
idea. Eliot solved this problems in 1987 - in fact I *think* he was
the first so to do but wouldn't bet any large amount of money - and
the basics are described in his seminal paper from the 87 OOPSLa
proceedings.

Since he is currently employed to do work in Squeak it seems entirely
reasonable to me to see if he would (re)solve the problem for us.

tim
Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.