Nokia N810 as a Squeak PDA?

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:47:10 UTC 2007

The Nokia N810 has a 400MHz ARM (TI OMAP 2420) processor. I'm running Squeak
on a 3.0 VM (yea, I'm working on upgrading the VM to a 3.9/3.10 codebase) on
a Jornada 820 with a 200MHz ARM (SA1100) processor.

Morphic (in 3.8) is completely unusable on my machine; MVC is usable after a
few tweaks to significantly improve performance. I'm currently quite able to
write code on it, but it can still be very slow in places such as the
debugger, and there's a bug somewhere that occasionally deletes the .changes
file.

Can anybody confirm that this performance is normal for this class of
devices, or do I just have a slow device? I know that a lot of the Jornada
820's memory bandwidth is eaten up by the video refreshes.

You could always modify Squeak a bit to remap an unused key or two to do the
special chars, or alternatively the N810 might have something which does
just that in it's control panels somewhere. Wait... it uses Linux, right?
You could probably achieve this using xmodmap, loadkeys or similar.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/