Nokia N810 as a Squeak PDA?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Dec 21 00:24:23 UTC 2007

On 20-Dec-07, at 12:47 PM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> The Nokia N810 has a 400MHz ARM (TI OMAP 2420) processor. I'm
> running Squeak on a 3.0 VM (yea, I'm working on upgrading the VM to
> a 3.9/3.10 codebase) on a Jornada 820 with a 200MHz ARM (SA1100)
> processor.
>
> Morphic (in 3.8) is completely unusable on my machine; MVC is usable
> after a few tweaks to significantly improve performance. I'm
> currently quite able to write code on it, but it can still be very
> slow in places such as the debugger, and there's a bug somewhere
> that occasionally deletes the .changes file.
>
> Can anybody confirm that this performance is normal for this class
> of devices, or do I just have a slow device? I know that a lot of
> the Jornada 820's memory bandwidth is eaten up by the video refreshes.

Well, the old RISC OS machine had a 200MHz StrongARM and MVC was
extremely responsive and Morphic was just barely usable. The newer
RISC OS machine has a 600MHz XScale 80321 and Morphic is usable enough
that I stopped relying on MVC. So, at a guess a 400MHz ARM 1136 ought
to be reasonable at Morphicing. It really depends mostly on the OS and
the C compiler code quality; obviously excluding the dire need to
improve Morphic that has been beaten to death plenty of times.

Actually, this makes the Nokia 810 the first machine aside from an
iPhone that I've noted having an ARM 11.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SEOB: Set Every Other Bit