SqueakSource is down again

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 22:46:46 UTC 2007

> > So which parts do we need to fix to make the Semaphore, Socket and
> > image freezing problems go away?
>
> For semaphores I'd recommend the fixes that I've posted over the year.

I loaded all your semaphore related patches a couple of months ago and
squeaksource.com ran quietly and happily up to a few weeks ago. Then
suddenly we got many processes hanging in Semaphore>>#critical:.

> For image freezes -in particular in
> Squeaksource- you probably need to fix the concurrency issues in
> Squeaksource itself.

What kind of concurrency issues in squeaksource.com itself could cause
these problems? I know that the code is far from perfect, but I must
also point out that we didn't loose a single of the more than 71'000
versions during the past 4 years. We also never experienced a
corrupted data model.

I wonder how it can happen that semaphores are suddenly blocked? Might
this be related to image saving happening while being within a
critical section?

Cheers,
Lukas

--