[ANN] Hydra VM (multithreaded squeak VM) showing first results

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Tue Dec 25 06:46:04 UTC 2007

Hi Igor,

on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 22:24:47 +0100, you wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> i would like to make anyone know, what i have done during December in
> a collaboration with Andreas, for creating a VM, which can run
> multiple squeak images in separate native threads, running in
> parallel.
>
> Hydra VM is codename, which we have choose to call this project :)

Wow, what a project, what a name :-D

> There is much to be done left, but i think, at the moment, there is
> enough support in VM to write tests and experiment, without much risk
> of crashes.
>
> Any questions? ask away!

How about passing a socket's handle to one of the serpent's heads. See
(aSocket socketHandle) in #acceptFrom: of Socket.

That looks easy doable, (aSocket socketHandle) could be passed as a
constant bytearray, similiar to sending something to the #transcript or
#doIt channel, and the result of #acceptFrom: is totally controlled on the
serpent head's side.

Can you see any problem with this, OS-wise or other? If not I could give
it a try.

/Klaus