Squeak VM stability?

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 21:41:24 UTC 2007

Hi all.

Is the policy of the VM makers (whoever they currently are) to prevent the
VM from crashing, particularly when given malicious bytecodes?

This is a general question, mostly related to
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1395 which is now closed. Is it
considered a bug if I can crash the VM with a maliciously crafted method?

Which direction would the Squeak community want to go in? Should we aim to
have a VM that would never seg fault and dump core (or blue screen under
Windows), regardless of what rubbish is fed to it? Doing extra sanity checks
and bounds checking would possibly have a performance penalty.

Regards,
Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg