Squeak VM stability?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Dec 29 01:21:54 UTC 2007

On 28-Dec-07, at 1:41 PM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Is the policy of the VM makers (whoever they currently are) to
> prevent the VM from crashing, particularly when given malicious
> bytecodes?

I think the truth would be somewhere around the area of "we try to
make it reasonably safe and stable". There are simple practical
problems such as lack of time to do more. There are other problems
such as #become: which can easily swap a perfectly sound method for
some arbitrary object. In between those are simple mistakes in logic
and code.

We do our best given the constraints. If you collectively want
noticeably better you'll collectively have to come up with some
serious resources to enable the work.

tim
Useful random insult:- Mind like a steel sieve.