Making Squeak more accessible and used - reversing the trend

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 1 03:56:07 UTC 2007

Hi Brad,

It sounds to me (and appologize if I am guessing wrong) is that your goal is
to make Squeak more wide spread, and bring underlying ideas into wider use
and awarness. My theory is for a software product to achieve that is to:
	- attract more users
	or
	- atract more developers
and I think the recent history (Java, Microsoft's tools, Ruby) shows that
attracting more developers is the way to do it. Also it may be that creating
web browsers, email and office suites is the old territory, also, penetration
against established products would be very difficult. I am not saying let us
not do it, just speculating on options. I feel that for Squeak its power is
in unchartered territories, things like Croquet and Tinlizzie (which I
understand is generally direction of future eToys-like system).

I think currently Squeak, mostly via eToys, is one of the very few great tools
for children and non-developers which is great, but I would wish there are
more developers attracted to Squeak. I read recently that if all the Squeak
developers are gone, there will be noone developing the tools for kids. Going
back for a minute to "succeed via attracting more developers", obviously if
more developers can make some of their living from Squeak, that would be
great. Also, for _new_ developers, it seems that the development environment
fell behind it's apprentices, tools like KDevelop, Eclipse, Netbeans are far
more pleasant and (cough) productive (I am coming from that direction, so
cannot compare objectively, but feel that is the case). I guess overall I am
trying to say better developer tools and PR may be a shorter way for Squeak
promotion, but that does not mean the next great killer app could not be a
web browser :) .

Milan