Squeak Board 2007 elections process and timeline *Please Respond*

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Feb 3 17:43:58 UTC 2007

Hi Michael,

Michael Haupt escribió:
> Hi Juan,
>
> aren't some of your questions a little suggestive? (Well, that was a
> suggestive question too, heh.)

Sure they are.
> While I'd agree with them content-wise, I'd rather put them in a more
> "what is your opinion on..." way, e.g.,

Ok.
> On 2/3/07, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
>> - Do you think a stronger leadership from the Squeak Board is needed?
>
> How much strength of leadership should the board exhibit?

I think the board should find ways to find out the opinion of the
community on key issues, and make decisions. My questions show the kind
of issues I'd like the board should decide on.
>> - Do you think Squeak is currently trying to be too many different
>> things for too many different people, and that this is slowing down
>> advance?
>> - If the previous answer is Yes, what would you like to remove from the
>> image?
>
> What is your opinion on the breadth of functionality supported in the
> image, and its possible effects on advancement pace?

Terrible. The image currently includes almost every experiment ever
done. Most of them have been abandoned for years. This is the main
reason for the huge amount of code in the image. Lots of complexity. All
against real advance in quality. You can find my reports as the Morphic
Team leader, to read more about all I wanted to remove from the image
(and could not get consensus to do it).
>> - Do you have a position on where should Squeak be headed?
>> - How do you want Squeak to evolve next year?
>
> (Not suggestive ones in my opinion.)
>
>> - Do you think it is needed to pay more attention to code quality and
>> less attention to feature lists?
>
> What do you think about the tension between code quality as opposed to
> feature extensions?
I think the base image should be top quality. And with very little
features. Everything else should be outside the image, and managed by a
team.
Something like my reduced image at
http://www.jvuletich.org/Squeak/EToysFreeMorphic/EtoysFreeMorphic.html ,
or Pavel's works, or Spoon.