Making Squeak more accessible and used - reversing the trend

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Sat Feb 3 23:45:14 UTC 2007

One of smalltalk's wonderful features is it's prototyping ability,
that's true. I think what you are proposing is to create native apps
with Squeak to get developers excited about the development
possibilities of Squeak.

But, I think we would go down the wrong road, and do a real disservice,
if we encouraged building native OS applications. Squeak moves beyond
the OS and vertical applications (or, never been there) into a world not
necessarily requiring an operating system - on into a personal
environment where user's can manipulate objects for their own needs on
any hardware.

(I used the word "application" in my original msg because I didn't know
what else to use. Using the word "object" is ok, but doesn't convey the
idea of an object that is feature-rich to satisfy a particular higher
order need (like a web browser does.))

What we need is to convince Mr. Dell to sell computers with Squeak on it
and nothing else. That would be the ultimate.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com