Squeak Board 2007 elections process and timeline *Please Respond*

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Feb 5 02:09:56 UTC 2007

tim Rowledge escribió:

> I'm interested to hear from people about just how 'strong' a
> leadership they think can be provided and how strong they want. There
> is a simple practical problem with any idea of 'strong leadership' in
> a completely free and open community and that is that there is no
> power at all, no force , no control, that the 'strong leaders' can
> exert unless people voluntarily accept it. If I say "I am the mighty
> leader and lo! Morphic shall be Pink!" it really has no possible
> consequence unless a significant number of people think pink. Or maybe
> unless I can get some more of that mind control drug into the water
> supply.

Then we are in a sort of deadlock. As getting ALL the community to agree
on anything is almost impossible, no decisions can be made. Therefore
all we can do with the release image is bug-fixing. If the board can not
define a direction or a list of objectives, who can?

I believe Squeak needs bold decisions. The board needs to find ways to
understand what the community wants and what it can do. And it needs to
make those decisions, organizing teams to implement them, etc.
> This year the current group of people on the board has tried to
> concentrate on establishing some routines and conventions for good
> governance. Sure, that doesn't make for great headlines about dramatic
> leadership but it does, hopefully, result in a well established,
> legally sound, open, transparent and honestly run foundation. After
> that we collectively can start work on raising money and more
> excitingly, spending it.
That's great. I really appreciate the work of the board this year. In
fact, I'd like to keep most or all of the members. But many things can
be done right now, without money, if we know where we are headed.

> tim
> --
> Rules for Optimization: 1. Don't; 2. (for experts only) Don't Yet

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich