Point of potential interest.

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Fri Feb 9 07:45:23 UTC 2007

Blake-

On Feb 8, 2007, at 11:49 PM, Blake wrote:

> Anyone seen the BlueJ development environment?
>
> It's meant as an aid to teach Java.
>
> I think it's interesting that it works by allowing you to create a
> live environment of Java objects. A pallid imitation of Smalltalk.
> (But still kinda cool.)

I've played with BlueJ some myself.  I was playing with it because I
specifically was looking for a way to get some Smalltalkishness for
Java, specifically some interactivity.            xxxxxxxx

That was back in 2000, when I was taking a Java class that was mostly
about writing GUIs in Swing for my sophomore year of college. I had
been using Squeak for about a year, having taught myself Smalltalk
over the previous year.  Like most who take an earnest look at
Smalltalk, I was hooked, and Smalltalk had replaced Python as my
favorite language, where it's remained since. No small feat for a
language enthusiast during a time where there are a lot of
contenders, some of which that are full featured and fun to code in,
languages like Io, Factor, Ruby, Python, etc.

Anyway, I was trying to find something to give me some of what
Smalltalk does for Java and ended up playing with BlueJ.  It is
indeed a learning tool, and past that it is of a very limited
usefulness. Now that I get paid to code in Java (and Python, but I'm
hoping to move that part to Squeak soon), I've not found a use for
BlueJ, and I get similar benefit from tools like Jython, which can
access any and all Java objects, including subclassing Java classes
as well as BeanShell.  Naturally, it'd be nice to get some GUI
inspectors and a class browser, but at least being able to send
messages and play around with the retuned values.

For those interested in tools like eToys, you might be interested in
Greenfoot (screenshots: http://www.greenfoot.org/about/
screenshots.html ), which is sort of a cross between BlueJ and a
wanna-be eToys.

Regards,
Aaron