New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 03:49:31 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Martin Beck <martin.beck at hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Andreas Raab schrieb:
> > Hi Folks -
> >
> > Turns out that the Makefile I used had a small but in some situations
> > significant problem (which is both, hard to explain as well as to
> > debug). To avoid any possible problems I've built another VM (3.9.2)
> > that is available here:
> >
> > http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-bin.zip
> > http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-src.zip
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   - Andreas
> After using this version for some time I recognized a decreasing in the
> speed of the event handling. The responses on my mouse clicks are very
> slow after some time, so browsing source isn't fun anymore. :( Also, my

I've noticed something vaguely similar. If I interupt or terminate a process
that is in the middle of drag+drop then mouse clicks only half work. On my
system this is almost certainly due to something at the end of the drag+drop
methods which cleans up something somewhere and makes the system behave
normal again. For me, this is image based rather than VM based.

Does making and entering a new project help?

key events are sometimes mangled up, i.e. they don't arrive in the right
> order, if i type too fast.

I've noticed this using shout; I suspect it's a process synchronisation bug.

Try using an image that doesn't have shout installed.

Also I can almost count the seconds till the
> key press events arrive on my screen.

Do you have any other processes running in your image?

Michael.